Additional Technology Projects
- 2013–presentMail-in-a-Box, creator
- Take back control of your email with this easy-to-deploy mail server in a box.
- 2013–presentANCFinder.org, team member
- A project of Code for DC to increase engagement in DC's Advisory Neighborhood Commissions.
- Co-authored with other legislative technology geeks, this library pulls in and organizes information about the U.S. Congress.
- 2014Scrap Stats, team member
- A project about food waste developed at the National Geographic Future of Food Hackathon, May 3-4, 2014.
- 2005–2009SemWeb .NET Library
- An open source .NET library written in C# for working with RDF data for the Semantic Web. It's used in the Gnome application F-Spot, and possibly elsewhere. I created it becaues I thought the Semantic Web would be big! [github]
- 2009New Jersey Gang Survey Viewer (organizer)
- This is a visualization tool for the New Jersey State Police Street Gang Survey 2007. It was developed by five volunteers in Philadelphia over the course of a weekend in December 2009, as part of the Great American Hackathon.
- This entry for Sunlight Foundation's Apps for America contest, in collaboration with Josh Sulkin, is a mash-up of airline on-time flight statistics from the FAA with historical weather data from the NOAA. Mentions: White House open gov status report,
The New York Times (3/12/11), NPR (3/14/10), The Washington Post (7/21/09), The Politico (6/24/09).
- This is an extension to the Praat program for phonetic analysis that allows scripts to by written in Python. I created it to help with (procrastinate doing) my PhD thesis. [github]
- 2006–2007The Penn Lambda Calculator
- This is a linguistic semantics pedagogical tool made in conjunction with Lucas Champollion and Maribel Romero.
- 2004–2007Sender Verification Extension for Thunderbird
- A Mozilla Thunderbird extension for verifying the domain name claimed in the From: address of emails using SPF, as a tool to combat phishing. Downloaded around 150,000 times. Doesn't work anymore. [github]
- 2007OpenGovData.org, participant
- Formed out of a 2007 meeting of open government activists and professionals, this site presents the Eight Principles of Open Government Data and lists related information. As of 2012, I am still maintaining the website.
- 2007/2008Semantic Web Databases
- U.S. Census RDF Dataset: A 1-billion triples RDF database of U.S. Census statistics, at the time the largest open, linked, and dereferencable RDF database of real-world information. U.S. SEC Corporate Ownership RDF Data: A semantic web RDF database based on the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s EDGAR database.
- 1999Webcytology [more info]
- My first major web project (I was in high school), this was a winning entry in the 1999 ThinkQuest competition. It featured a cellular automata simulation, inspired by Conway's Game of Life, where users would design organisms with different biologically inspired properties. In collaboration with Andew Kallem.
Academic Publications (grad school years)